Unseen Sounds: The Kiernan McMullan Podcast

CPI Archive 2008: In the second instalment of the Unseen Sounds series, Andrew Hamilton spoke to Killaloe singer song writer, Kiernan McMullan.

THE product of a musical mixed marriage including boy bands, hip-hop and heavy metal – Kiernan McMullan is a very atypical singer songwriter. Born in Hong Kong and raised for 13 years in Boston, he had already lived a little before he came to Killaloe as a teenager. “My dad’s from Belfast and my mom’s Australian and they both wanted to live in Ireland. I was in boarding school in Limerick and I’m not really sure how it happened but I somehow ended up living here in Killaloe,” said Kiernan. “I started playing piano when I was about six years old. I started off with classical and I wasn’t really feeling that in the same way as the other six- year-olds. So my teachers brought me out a book of old ragtime pieces and blues and jazz and basically teach me how to improvise. “I have to be honest though – when I was nine years old I listened to boy bands like the Backstreet Boys and N’Sync. No shame though, it’s all part and parcel of all the music I guess. It was weird though - I went from that to hip-hop and rap and then somehow got into heavy rock. It’s funny how your musical tastes change so quickly.


No comments:

Post a Comment