The Fionn Regan Podcast

CPI Archive 2009: Army of one: “Write in recollection and amazement for yourself” - that was Jack Kerouac’s advice to the world. As he returns from his own American odyssey, Andrew Hamilton caught up with Fionn Regan.

Sooner or later, most musicians will tend towards solitude. Whether in their creative or personal life, the lot of many creatives can be an isolated one, a world peopled only by their own thoughts and ideas. For many, this is the nature of the beast - a price to pay for the creative process. “For me, it’s about ploughing your own furrow. Everything seems to work for me when I take the reins and take all the decision-making away from a committee situation. I have to go off into my own world to create something. It’s the same sort of feeling as you get from a lot of directors when they talk about their films. I need to see everything from the artwork right down to the very last tambourine hit. I have my own way of doing things - everything is cut live in the room and it has its own little world to it. If there were more people involved, they might find it maddening. With this record, I wanted everything to be on show, I wanted people to be able to hear the nuts and bolts of it. I didn’t want the edges to be smoothed out. I didn’t want it to be pasteurised or to sound like something it wasn’t... 

No comments:

Post a Comment