The Rory Grubb Podcast

CPI Archive 2009: In the end, the sea will take all of us. Andrew Hamilton chats to Clonlara singer/songwriter Rory Grubb about the release of his second album and his unwitting musician collaborations with the Atlantic Ocean.

Salt-bitten and wind whipped, the surge of white horses flows ever ashore. The night is deep, the moon’s slender shimmer a mockery of sunshine as the storm-swell devours all light and all sound. All that endures is a glimmer of gold, a tiny fragment of warmth and music from a small country cottage. The gulls, those foolish enough not to seek refuge in some sheltered inland cove, crouch together in the nooks and crannies of the old sea wall. Tonight, the Atlantic is angry. Yet inside, Clonlara singer/song- writer Rory Grubb works on unperturbed. Lost in writing and playing, the drum of the ocean is no concern of his, or so he thinks. But eventually the ocean will wear away even the strongest rock, and unannounced, begin to slowly work its way into Rory’s thoughts and words. “I didn’t realise it when it was happening but listening back to it months after, I notice this maritime feeling going through the whole record. It’s definitely there in the lyrics a lot and, to be honest, I’m not really sure how it got in there. I recorded the album in a cottage by the sea, which probably helped, and I was living beside the sea when I wrote a lot of the songs, so I suppose that’s how it got in there. When you’re seeing something every day, I guess you can’t help making these connections and drawing parallels without even realising it. It’s like it snuck in there without me realising it," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment