The Spiritualized Podcast

CPI Archive 2009: In a candid interview, Spiritualized frontman Jason Pierce speaks to Andrew Hamilton about his brush with death, his search for elusive music perfection and his life as a selfish musician.

In June 2005, Jason Pierce died. On stage at the Meltdown Festival, alongside Patti Smith and Kevin Shields from My Bloody Valentine, his lungs began to fill with fluid as a double pneumonia slowly took control of his body. Over the next two weeks, his heart stopped on two separate occasions as the fight for his life swayed one way, and then the other. After a mammoth struggle, the Spiritualized frontman pulled through and, just two years later, completed the band’s sixth major release, the appropriately titled ‘Song in A and E’. “It’s hard to tell really but I would say that one didn’t really influence the other at all. It seemed more like the illness was an inconvenience to the record and its completion. But it’s hard to tell how much that gap in time affected the final record. I mean, the record was all written and more or less recorded when I got sick and all I really did when I was well again was put down the parts that were already formed anyway - I had sheet music put together for string parts and horn parts which just hadn’t been recorded yet,” he says. 

No comments:

Post a Comment