Mary Coughlan Podcast

CPI Archive 2008: The healing game. Down but nowhere near out, Mary Coughlan has used the public as a psychologist and her music as an open therapy session. She speaks candidly to Andrew Hamilton about working through her marriage break-up and using the shards of that experience to create her most exciting album in years.

A LIFE lived in public is a fragile existence. While all the world has moments of weakness, few have their dirty laundry aired in the pages of the tabloid media for the amusement and entertainment of friends and strangers. Yet so it was for Mary Coughlan on the spring of 2005. The break-up of a 13 year relationship with husband, Frank Bonadio, and his subsequent relationship with Sinead O’Connor had somehow transformed her hardship into media fodder. And as “text-gate” began to take on a life all of its own, Coughlan had reached a breaking point. Confused and alone she knew one thing, she had to get away. She left Ireland quickly, but not to run way. She left to write and to work the heartbreak out of her soul. “Oh Jesus ya, I had to get the whole thing out of my system. It was just after my Ma died and I had left my ex-husband and all of that. I went down to New Zealand and off to Australia. I had a curious affection for New Zealand and I did so well there that they ended up inviting me back to be artist is resident,” she said.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment