The Jim McKee Podcast

CPI Archive 2008: As an artist or a fighter, Jim McKee has always punched well above his weight. Andrew Hamilton talks to the Clare based Tyrone man about his debut solo album, his chats with Willie Nelson and how music overcame his own sectarian divide.

IN 1972, the streets of Northern Ireland became like an open wound. Chaos rained and communities were obliterated as sectarian violence erupted across the six counties. By Christmas of that year, almost 500 people died, making in the bloodiest year of the Troubles. Yet, even in this challenging space, creativity was allowed to flourish. Brought up in a mixed housing estate in Cookstown in Tyrone, the Troubles would shape much of Jim McKee’s future. It would launch his boxing career, provide him with the inspiration to become an internationally recognised painter, and through the Protestant marching bands, awaken his lust for music. “I started boxing first because of the Troubles, I was getting beaten up a lot by the Protestant boys going to school - so I started the boxing to protect myself really. When I started first I was the worst boxer in the club, but in the end I finished up the best boxer in the club and won two All Ireland titles. I was 14 when I won my first Tyrone and Ulster titles and after that I won the two All Irelands. I was offered the chance to turn professional when I was 18 but I turned it down because I thought I was too young. I regret that a bit, when I turned 20 I had started going out with women and playing music and the discipline had gone from the boxing," said Jim.

No comments:

Post a Comment