The Eddi Reader Podcast

CPI Archive 2009: Andrew Hamilton chats to Scottish singer Eddi Reader about her love affair with Robert Burns and no longer feeling like the ugly duckling of pop.

January 2003. From the outside, all looked well. A successful career, spanning more than two decades of music, complete with an endless supply of awards and accolades to adorn the busy mantelpiece. What more could anyone ask for? Yet despite all this, Eddi Reader was unhappy. A Scot lost in London, she saw herself as the ugly duckling of the British pop scene. So with no hope in the present, she cast her mind back more than 200 years to the words that would set her free. To the poems of old Rabbie, the great Bard of Ayrshire. “I already knew a lot of those Robert Burns poems and songs from when I used to sing in folk clubs when I was young. There was nowhere really for me to sing back then. Before the folk clubs, I would just sing in from of my mom and dad. I’d sing along to Elvis records or Beatles records," she said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment